Spivak & Marxism-Feminism (was Re: And another thing)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Jul 17 23:10:13 PDT 2000

At 09:20 PM 7/17/00 -0400, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>Dennis:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>>
>> > Spivak, however, used to argue that trapped between the rock and hard
>> > places "the subaltern [e.g. poor women in poor nations] cannot speak"
>> > (I don't know if she's still committed to this statement).
>>
>>No, no, this was one of those rhetorical flourishes, kind of the 3rd world
>>equivalent of Adorno's quip, "To write poetry after Auschwitz is
>>barbaric".
>
>Yes, what she mainly means is (1) representation (e.g. speaking for
>others) won't disappear; and (2) "The subaltern as female cannot be heard
>or read" within the narrow terms of patriarchal nationalism & Western
>liberalism. I agree with Spivak on (1) & (2), but she put it rather
>misleadingly in a way that casts doubt on the "subaltern's" ability to
>ever learn & use a revolutionary discourse (such as Marxism-Feminism) on
>her own behalf, instead of waiting for smart critics like Spivak to come
>along and represent her.
>
>Yoshie

yeahsureright. of course. she spent enough time giving the sublatern studies groupa good swift kick for imagining they could represent the subaltern in the name of the subaltern in their struggle against both western imperialism and nationalist politics. so i'm afraid that you've misrepresented her, yet again. she doesn't say anything misleadingly in order to create a profession for herself, though she may be a nuanced and difficult read. still and all, it appears that you simply present her misleadingly to make some imagined point about the superiority of your politics as opposed to a "postmodernist" or "left hegelian" or whoever is the current evil of the moment.

kelley