[Spivak & Marxism-Feminism (was Re: And another thing)]

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 18 10:47:29 PDT 2000

I received this very interesting reply from Abu Nasr, so I'm forwarding it to M-Fem, LBO, L-I, & PEN-L. Yoshie

Date: 18 Jul 00 08:26:33 MDT From: Abu Nasr <abu-nasr at usa.net> To: marxism at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: [Spivak & Marxism-Feminism (was Re: And another thing)]

Dear Yoshie and all!

I think it's interesting and significant that when I visit a conventional bookstore in the USA (Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.) I find nothing in the way of translations of the debates and theoretical works coming out in Arabic about current politics, society, imperialism, etc., although there is a steady stream of such things, often very interesting. About the only thing coming close to this would be the publications of Edward Said. These are fine, but there's lots more in Arabic. (And as regards Said, there was an excellent Marxist critique of Said by Sadiq Jalal al-Azm of Syria called "Orientalism and Reverse Orientalism" not long after Said's "Orientalism" came out in 1977. Yet despite the debate that raged over "Orientalism" in the West, that critique to my knowledge was not translated.)

I'm not sure that the sociological studies of migrant labour by Saad ed-Din Ibrahim of Egypt count as theoretical works, for these have been translated and published in the west. But then please note that his recent detention has become a cause celebre and he a "hero" of the "human rights" struggle in Egypt (waged mostly from western countries), while the Arabic press (not only in Egypt) has been pointing up how he has gladly taken tens of thousands of dollars in European grant money and has for a long time been cavorting about with the staff of the Israeli Embassy as an outspoken supporter of "normalization" with the Zionist state.

On the other hand in the big bookstores in the USA one can readily find the writings of Nawal al-Sa`dawi, an able Egyptian feminist writer as well as other materials by Arab and Muslim women writers about, if you will, feminist issues.

I'm not alleging reverse discrimination or anything like that. What I'm saying is that somehow the feminist discourse can be decontextualized in the west, detached from the broader social context that created it and published in the west where in effect it becomes part of the dominant imperialist discourse, quite in opposition to the intentions of Sa`dawi and other Arab and Muslim feminists who are well aware of the broader social issues in which the "woman question" is embedded.

Meanwhile other social issues about which much is written in Arabic remain untranslated, and I suspect because things like debates over the impact of globalism are more difficult for the mainstream western discourse to decontextualize and co-opt.

Clearly this is not a fault of feminism per se, but a result of the imperialist political economic world system under which these debates are managed.

Revolutionary greetings!

Abu Nasr