GM for AA

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 19 06:55:23 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [What does this do to the theory that racism is essential to US capitalism?]

I wouldn't have the slightest idea unless someone spelled which of the 15 or so "theories" of the role of racism in u.s. capitalism. What theory do you have in mind.

My theories (I shift from time to time on it) have ususally included two quite independent parts:

1) A theory as to the inherent necessity in capitalism for some such set of relations as "race" manifests. (I tend to say no: no inherent necessity in principle, but I don't know).

2) A theory, or rather a jumble of overlapping theories needing clarification, as to whether, *given* the history of slavery and black oppression in the U.S. it is, in practice, possible to eliminate that oppression "inside capitalism." I tend to say no, but arguments to the contrary would be interesting.

It seems to me you have asked a question about as sensible as the following:

Jack Jones has increased his annual consumption of blueberries by 1.37 percent. What does that say about the theory of the place of packaged-fruit consumption in western culture?

Carrol