pres polls

nathan.newman at yale.edu nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Jul 19 18:14:25 PDT 2000

---------Included Message----------
> Date: Wed, 19 Jul 100 16:23:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>
>
> Your poll numbers showed poorer people with more education voting for
> Nader. Interesting, but probably insignificant.

I actually think it is very significant, especially when you compare it to Buchanan, who gets nearly 10% of the $20-30K group, but unlike Nader, gets almost no votes from wealthier voters. Nader actually only does better than Buchanan in that upper-income group. I would also bet that given the education skew of Nader's vote overall that the lower-income votes he gets are disproportionately highly-educated groups in those lower-income range (say academic types :) Given some of the Teamster and UAW verbal support for Nader, the less-educated part of his support could actually be coming from his higher-income range.

As has been true all year - whether with Bradley, McCain or Nader - the so-called "protest vote" (except for Buchanan) has come disproportionately from the most educated wing of the electorate, in Nader's case overwhelmingly from the graduate school crowd.

As is also true every election, the Dem vote increases as incomes drop.

--- Nathan Newman