GM for AA

Thu Jul 20 11:30:00 PDT 2000

>>> cbcox at ilstu.edu 07/20/00 01:29PM >>>

I don't know what the figures are now, but I suspect the relative numbers have not changed much. Many decades ago there were only *two* public universities whose endowment funds were of the same order of magnitude with those of the large private universities -- the University of Texas (read oil) and the University of Michigan (read autos/Law). One Rose Bowl game the U of M band put on what in effect was a commercial for GM -- though that was going it a bit strong and they got some static on it. I suspect the ties between the U.of M. and whatever part of big capital owns GM are pretty close.

CB: Univesity of Michigan never divested from Apartheid investments, including General Motors. Michigan State did divest.