Grad Unions and Other Labor Leaders

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Thu Jul 20 12:44:50 PDT 2000

God this is unpersuasive. (Coming from a persuasive writer.)

1. Clinton/Gore both propose big boosts in military spending. The decline earlier in the decade was obviously due to external factors.

2. We DO NOT have massive surpluses because taxes on the rich increased significantly. We have surpluses because the bull market has produced huge annual capital gains windfalls.

3. As for domestic spending, Nathan, do we have to trot out the figures on DS growth under Bush Sr. vs. Clinton? Your scare tactics ("it is far better than Dubya slashing taxes for the wealthy and squeezing social spending to the bone") fall decidedly flat in light of those numbers

4. It's hilarious that you think the Clinton administration's liberalism is responsible for the positive "macroeconomic front." Ask Brad why he and his comrades were so successful and they'll be very honest with you -- it was Clinton's "fiscal discipline" that allowed growth to zoom upwards. We all know that the real credit goes to Republican-appointed Alan Greenspan.

5. NAFTA and GATT were passed with a Democrat in the White House and a Democratic House and Senate. Enough said.