Grad Unions and Other Labor Leaders

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 21 07:29:22 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Your argument for threatening to vote third party as a threat to keep Dems
>paying attention to our issues is no different from the always existing
>threat not to show up to vote or just vote for the Republican candidate
>(as some urged back in 1968 and even 1972 as a protest against the Dems).

Let me see if I understand this. The day after the election. Dem strategists convene. Scenario 1: Republicans win by 3 points. Exit polls and focus groups show that former Dem voters stayed home or voted Repub because candidate was a liberal wuss (e.g. McGovern). Conclusion: move right. Scenario 2: Reps win by 3 points. Exit polls and focus groups show that former Dem voters stayed home or voted for principled, mostly progressive, almost excessively virtuous Third Party candidate because Dem candiate was a center-right guy with a reputation for sleaze and insincerity. Conclusion: move right?

Doug