Grad Unions and Other Labor Leaders

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 21 08:43:42 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Trying to get 5% or 10% of the vote by a minor candidate is just a useless
>attempt at a shortcut to that tougher day-to-day organizing. And 5% or
>10% of the vote is no substitute to building a political movement that can
>get 51% or better yet 60% or 70% support for our issues and our projected
>leaders.

Nathan, you're a master of false binaries! Who said voting for Nader was a substitute for organizing? Most Nader activists are activists in other realms, and he's running with a party that, for all its many faults, is trying to develop a real political alternative. In fact one of the reasons for voting for Ralph is to get the Greens some matching funds in future elections - to create a real party beyond Nader's celebrity. I'm all for developing the Labor Party too (though I'm no fan of the New Party, because it seems to me like a not-fully-acknowledged subsidiary of the Dems). And union organizing. And the new generation of protest kids, too. Voting for Ralph is no shortcut, but a part of that broader strategy.

Doug