Dem Primary versus Third Party Strategies (Re: Grad Unions and Other Labor Leaders

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 21 10:55:48 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>No matter how many times I ask about
>primaries, you invariably delete the sentence from your response to act as
>if I am just talking about general elections, as if pro-Dem strategies are
>just to suck-it-up and vote for whoever randomly gets the nomination.

The problem with this strategy is that the Dem party is a wretched institution, but one with immense organizational and financial power. I think it's unreformable. Say some fine person runs in the primary and loses. The pressure will be to endorse the hack that wins. You end up sucked into the black hole of lesser evilism all over again. Fuck it, I say. Forget about the Dems, they're hopeless.

Doug