Greenland melting at the edges

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Jul 22 00:56:54 PDT 2000

At 14:55 21/07/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Washington Post - July 21, 2000
>
>Greenland Is Skating on Thinner Ice
>
>By Curt Suplee
>
>The massive Greenland Ice Sheet--which contains nearly 10 percent of all
>the frozen water on Earth--is melting at a rate of about 12 cubic miles
>per year, accounting for 7 percent of sea-level rise worldwide.

This news is important because

1. It is the first report that in addition to Antarctica, the northern polar regions are losing ice. (TMY - to my understanding).

2. The teletext brief on this which first caught my eye, quoted the figure of 7% rise is worldwide sea level but gave a much more startling figure. That the rise in global sea level in the last 100 years is 9 inches.

I cannot see that confirmed in the more detailed web reports, which sound as if even the Greenland data needs a lot of interpretation.

Does anyone know how hard the evidence is for a rise in global sea levels in the last 100 years, and what order of magnitude that is estimated to be?

Chris Burford

London