[fla-left] ONWARD #1 Out Now! Sample article attached (fwd)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 23 16:06:20 PDT 2000

>RE that plaintive cry against sexism in anarchist movement:
>Plus ca change! you'd think the sixties-seventies rebellion of women
>against sexism in the new left had never happened. There is such a huge
>literature about that moment, including pop novels by Marge Piercy and
>others. The women who led the rebellion and started new-left, radical
>feminism are still alive and kicking! But this poor kid has to figure it
>out all on her own, starting with step one.
>Why must women always be reinventing the wheel?
>
>Very sad.
>Katha

In Columbus, Ohio, there was a feminist bookstore called Fan the Flame, but it died a couple of years ago. Perhaps we don't have enough grassroots feminist institutions that can pass on past political experience of feminists systematically. We have women's studies departments & feminist journals, which help, but they mainly exist within academia, and those outside it are left out of the knowledge of women's history produced by scholars.

BTW, here's an interesting article on feminism and anarchism

Sharif Gemie, "Anarchism and Feminism: a Historical Survey," _Women's History Review_ 5.3 (1996), at http://www.triangle.co.uk/whr/03.htm

(Material is drawn from the experience of anarchists within Europe, 1840-1940.)

Yoshie