Napster encourages CD-buying

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 20:28:20 PDT 2000

Gawd, any time I want cheered up about the ludicrous lack of intellectual rigour in my own profession, it heartens me to know that there are firms like Jupiter about . . . . .

> . Napster users are 45 percent more likely to
> purchase music not
> because they are music aficionados, but because
> Napster itself is a
> catalyst for sales. Even when Jupiter researchers
> controlled for
> other factors that influence music purchasing, such
> as time spent
> online, income, age and gender, the use of Napster
> still had a very
> strong influence. "Other than existing level of
> music spending,
> Napster [use] was the greatest predictor of music
> spending," remarks
> Jupiter analyst Mike Saxon.

Whichever side of the argument you're on, this is pretty mouldy statistical practice. The study described simply doesn't justify this claim. Controlling for income, age, gender, time online etc is a pretty pointless pice of OLS frippery; it clearly doesn't control for "being predisposed to both buy music anyway and use Napster, ie, being a muso-head", which would be the null hypothesis of interest.

I can't remember who said it: "The Ordinary Least Squares regression model is the internal combustion engine of statistics; its extreme convenience has allowed us to forget how toxic it is".

dd, arch pedant.

===== "The banker must at all times affect a respectability that is more than human ... for this reason, he is typically the most romantic and least realistic of men"

John Maynard Keynes