DoS hits spy site

Reese reeza at flex.com
Wed Jul 26 23:18:23 PDT 2000

At 05:58 PM 26/07/00 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Wired News - 1:45 p.m. Jul. 24, 2000 PDT

>Attack on Spy Activist's Site

>by Declan McCullagh

<snip>

The following are a couple clip & pastes from the cypherpunks list. Sorry about the bandwidth, but hey! It's Noda-san! (maybe)

I thought some folks might be interested,,,

Reese

In reverse (chronological) order, 1st, from Noda-san himself?

<paste>

X-Originating-IP: [64.236.96.97] From: "Hironari Noda" <hyljoker at hotmail.com> To: manlion45 at hotmail.com Cc: cypherpunks at cyberpass.net Subject: Re: Why? Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 06:15:57 JST Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-2022-jp; format=flowed Sender: owner-cypherpunks at cyberpass.net Precedence: first-class Reply-To: "Hironari Noda" <hyljoker at hotmail.com> X-List: cypherpunks at cyberpass.net X-Loop: cypherpunks at cyberpass.net X-UIDL: )XW"!&6p!!1X+"!A>""!

>From: Manlion <manlion45 at hotmail.com>

>To: <hyljoker at hotmail.com>

>Subject: Why?

>Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:23:42 +0900

>Dear Hiro,

>I'm just curious to know why you leaked those names.

>You don't have to explain in detail. I only want a simple answer.

>I'm not PSIA, but I know many PSIA people. I worry about their safety.

> If you request a simple answer, I have to say, “in order to DESTROY the PSIA”

I imagine, almost everybody will think it dirty to betray the organization to which a person once belonged, especially by leaking the privacy of his co-workers.

That is true. I am not a honorable man. I am not going to gain respect from this matter.

However, why must I trust the “co-workers” who continued to stalk me and watch me by setting a surveillance room near my apartment house? Are they still my friends?

In July 1999, the PSIA even leaked privacy information about my parents and grand-parents ( not me ) by letting a weekly magazine (“Shuukan Shinchou”) to write a sarcastic article about my family ,though I also attacked and criticized the PSIA.

I feel they are not worth claiming to be protected privacy.

I was arrested by the Kanagawa Police, on a charge of threatening a female co-worker, on the 21th September 1999. Indeed, I felt strong hatred for her at that time, but I, in any contexts, had no contact with her since 25th July 1999. Even the Kanagawa Police admits this.

Why did they have to arrest me in September when there was no trouble between us? That is because last September I published two books from “Gendai Shokan” to citicize the PSIA’s cunning ways to survive the administrative reform. http://www.gendaishokan.co.jp/goods/ISBN4-7684-6761-X.htm http://www.gendaishokan.co.jp/goods/ISBN4-7684-6760-1.htm

The PSIA suspected that I secretly stole the name list from the office when I retired ( It was impossible for me to do this because I did not go to the office and they checked and packed my properties and sent them to my house ). In fact, when the police searched my room, they were trying to find the name list but in vain, because I did not have it.

I had been detained for two months. That was irregularly long, comparing with ordinary cases arrested by just sending threatening letters.

While the two months, the PSIA again started a campaign by leaking the information obtained from the Kanagawa Police to almost all media. TV news, newspapers, weekly magazines, the Internet and so on. They said “ Hey, he is a “STALKER””.

That was the time when the 600 member list ( written in Japanese ) of the PSIA was posted on the several Japanese Web Sites and earthshakingly shocked the PSIA. That’s right. This is not the first time.

Some Japanese journalists still think that I did this. However, that was perfectly impossible to me because at that time I was kept in the Yokohama Detention Center. I did not know the news itself outside the wall.

Now I have strong antipathy against the PSIA. The PSIA deprived me of everything.

I published a book this spring, titled “the CIA spy trainig” though the content itself is not so confidential. In a nutshell, it is my reprisal. http://www.gendaishokan.co.jp/goods/ISBN4-7684-6774-1.htm

After all, is this my personal revenge?

Partly true. Partly not.

In my opinion, the PSIA dose not deserve insisting that it is an intelligence agency. I described detailed stories in the book above mentioned although they are written in Japanese.

If you require a simple example, please let me again remind you of a FACT. “Where on earth does the intelligence agency exist whose over 600 member list is scattered all over the world?” Do they really keep sensitive information secret when they do not even protect their own most important privacy? They lack basic capbility as an intelligence agency.

Their incompetency is clearly proven, I think.

I am not going to deny that I myself am a disgraceful guy, but at the same time I cannot help emphasizing that the PSIA is a dirty agency with no capability and should be abolished immediately.

</paste>

2nd, a forward from John Young (note the dates, this one was 3 days earlier),,,

<paste>

^^^^^^^^^^^ Sender: owner-cypherpunks at cyberpass.net Precedence: first-class Reply-To: John Young <jya at pipeline.com> X-List: cypherpunks at cyberpass.net X-Loop: cypherpunks at cyberpass.net Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by flex.com id AAA22566 X-UIDL: 91ce2d259c8858ab6264c7df767539ce

[23 July 2000]

Dear Mr.Young

I am very grateful to receive helpful tips from you.

From unknown reason, now it takes quite a long time to access your site. It also seems to be impossible for me to download the files.

I am just an ordinary computer-user and unable to find solutions.

Mr. Campbell gave us an excellent presentation using many colorful slides. He is very friendly and joined the party held at "Izakaya" ( Japanese "sake" bar).

I think that the Japanese media will be astonished if the Washington Post or the AP deal with this matter. At present, as I mentioned, only two major newspapers, Nikkei and Yomiuri reported the leaked name lists. Other newspapers may follow the topic. There is a strange tendency in the Japanese media that they will not follow news untill foreign authoritative media report it.

In my opinion, this matter might lead to a diplomatic problem.

One of the reasons is that legal basis is not so clear about the liasion contact between PSIA and CIA. PSIA is based on "Subversive Activities Prevention Law" and this law does not clearly mention whether PSIA can send its members overseas.

In this case, the partner is CIA and there is a natural question from civil people why PSIA have to have contacts with CIA ( In fact, PSIA passes to CIA sensitive data about Japanese national elections. PSIA routinely investigate and predict the result of elections----this is also beyond the legal basis.)

The opposition party will have a lot of chance to attack the government.

In addition, there is a rule in Japan that every foreign issues must finally be attributed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In this point of view, I am very much interested in the process that the MOJ request FBI to urge Cryptome to delete the files. I imagine, the MOFA must be irritated because the MOJ probably have direct contact with FBI. As a result, the situation becomes more complicated and the problem has developed out of range of the problem about PSIA lists. Now it has wider significance ( that is because U.S major media followed the topic ).

It sounds a little bit exaggerated but I would say that not only the relation between CIA and PSIA but also the alliance between U.S. and Japan might be endangered.

CIA knows that I have spoken anything about the training course and its relation with PSIA. However, untill now, CIA and PSIA has ignored me probably because what I say or write is not so prevalent in Japan. Now that this becomes a major topic, they may change their strategy and take severe legal action. It is also true of the National Police Agency. ( Please don't be afraid. That is what I am hoping for.)

Actually I have already broken the National Public Servant Law which prohibits officials and former officials from leaking the secret obtained from their job. Why am I not arrested yet? That is because once the problem is brought into courts, they themselves have to submit evidence about the secrets and thus worsen the situation also for them. The provisions is virtually not effective.

The secrets includes PSIA's unlawful acitivities such as illegal accounts , civil rights invasion, and so on. ( As I wrote, I was arrested last year but from reasons above mentioned, they prosecuted me for threatening a former co-worker not directly for breaking the National Public Servant Law. Their hidden intention is clear. I was arrested by Kanagawa Police after I pubished two books criticizing PSIA. At the same time, PSIA was in delicate situation, trying to pass the renewed "Subversive Activities Prevention Law. )

I am not awkward about publicizing this E-mail account.

( Attached Chinese charcter "”¼“c—Yˆê˜Yg is one of my Japanese pseudonyms. Sorry for using a lot of pen names and e-mail accounts. I wrote a book using the name of "”¼“c" but related persons know "handa" is "noda".)

Surely I wll inform you of what is happening around me but if something critical takes place, I think it difficult for me to contact you.

About telephone, I am not a fluent English speaker and it is especially difficult for me to exchange messages using telephon. Both of us will be embarrassed, I imagine.

The last part of this message is my PGP public key ( mail address ljoker at maa.spacetown.ne.jp will expire from August.)

I am not a FBI special agent and so you can freely use any part of this message if you think it worth publicizing it on Cryptome.

Best regards,

Hironari Noda, Ishi-sou B-tou 203 gou,1-29-3,wakamiya,nakano-ku,tokyo,165-0033, Japan 03-5373-5698

( On the name lists, I wrote my name as "Takao Noda". It is another way of prounauncing the Chinese characters "Œh¶". Even a Japanese cannot read this as "hironari". I did this in order to disguise as if someone besides me had leaked the documents.)

<snip>

</paste>