Clinton and genocide

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 27 09:07:53 PDT 2000

"Peter K." wrote:

> [Here's a cheery story. Am I wrong to think that a certain segment of the
> left would have protested a large-scale U.N. invasion of Rwanda?]

The point is the U.S./U.N. didn't interfere, and the conditions under which they would have interfered would almost certainly been different from the actual conditions. So no, you are not wrong. I'm quite sure I would have opposed any U.S. intervention in Rwanda, but I simply cannot imagine what the actual conditions would have had to be for such intervention to be attempted.

I can't see how one could expect the major supporter of all genocidal activity or potential of the last half century to usefully interfere anyplace. Almost anything could happen, but the likelihood of some things is vanishingly small.

Carrol