Tax-Avoiding Corps

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jul 27 13:07:03 PDT 2000

I took a spin thru the report. I don't think there's much ammunition in it. The best factoid is that non-paying corps owned about 20% of all corporate assets. So there's either a lot of non-productive capital or somebody's escaping their tax liability. The fact that a majority of corps are non-paying has a gee-whiz air to it but doesn't mean much, since any fool can start a corporation that doesn't do much.

You can see from the report that Dorgan, whom I like a lot, is working the foreign tax deadbeat angle in his request, but I don't think that theme is what you are interested in. Even from my own pseudo-nationalist trade perspective, I don't put much in it.

The stuff that works the best politically is evidence to support statements like, "General Consolidated Dingus, Inc. made $1 zillion in profits and paid zero in taxes." CTJ is doing new work on this and should have something in the near future.

max

Max, Perhaps we could shift the debate ever so slightly to help the folks working on the upcoming conventions in Philly and LA. Below is the link for the GAO report to Sen. Byron Dorgan on Corps. . . .