"One Market Under God, and Heaven Help Us All"

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Jul 27 16:54:46 PDT 2000

>evidence was a reference to the history of the push for higher education
>on the part of the working class. they did struggle for that early on and
>you can find some discussions of that in marxist soc. of ed lit.
>
>kelley

indeed, yoshie, i neglected to point out that brint and karabel spend a significant amongt of ink making the very point that the vocational education trend (and they strongly hinted, what we see today) was foisted on everyone as a response to business interests as they got a hand in the expansion of higher education. they go into some great detail analyzing various historical documents evidencing handwringing over the need to pacify the working class with access to higher ed but at the same time but at the same time wanting to be sure that those workers were properly trained for their station in life. there was, in other words, some real fear that exposure to culture et al would make revolutionaries of them or somesuch.

kelley