Statistics Re: "One Market Under God, and Heaven Help Us All"

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Fri Jul 28 00:40:14 PDT 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Michael Yates wrote:
>
> >Have you ever tried to use the British stats site? What a hassle!!
>
> Last year, Statistics Canada wanted to charge me $40 for a time
> series on auto employment. The BLS has one on their website for free.

I've just discovered the news Statistics South Africa site (replacement for the old Central Statistical Service): http://www.statssa.gov.za. They actually appear to have reports available for free, which is great. Much better than the old site, where you could buy a copy of each report for R60 each.

At least that's one good thing the ANC has done - when I was still a member of the ANC, I had a hand in setting up their WWW site - which is still the most useful site for SA legislation updates. The people behind that spent a lot of time re-working the government information provision infrastructure.

Peter -- Peter van Heusden <pvh at egenetics.com> NOTE: I do not speak for my employer, Electric Genetics "Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower." - Karl Marx, 1844