Fw: Cuba advances biotechnology and genetic engineering

Andrew English aenglish at igc.org
Fri Jul 28 04:46:01 PDT 2000

Examples of scientific progress in biotechnology and genetic engineering benefiting all of humanity discussed in this article below. I guess Cuba doesn't have to contend with irrational people opposed to scientific research who put "animal rights" ahead of human rights and the working class.

Recently in Minneapolis, the loonier wing of the anarchists - who recently mobilized around April 16 - decided their main priority was to attack a scientific conference of researchers studying animal genetics that was meeting here.

They brought out 100-200 protestors, and the city overreacted to implied threats of violence, mobilizing hundreds of cops, which lead to one big confrontation on the last day of the conference. Previous to that the media was scrurrying around the conference site for several days looking for protestors but not finding any. Again, the exaggerated rhetoric of the animal rightists which hinted at violence and property destruction brought out the sensationalist media in droves. I wish the Pepsi strikers (Teamsters) were getting as much publicity for their much more rational and just cause. But then they aren't threatening to attack scientists in the name of protecting the rights of laboratory mice, which is apparently much more newsworthy.

Last year a lot of these same nuts were chaining themselves to trees (which they proclaimed as "sacred") to stop a highway project in the area.

-Andy English