FW: Can We Appropriate the Rich? (Re: Surplus NOT from Capital Ga ins Receipts

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 28 11:58:38 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Part of my argument with Max and Doug is over the possibility of success
>in achieving some of that change in balance of forces in expropriating
>part of the income of the wealthy.

Social Security is as good a social program as the U.S. has, and our elderly poverty rate is one of the few areas where we're not an international disgrace. The program is popular (which is why such a devious PR campaign has to be waged to privatize it), efficient, effective, and mildly redistributive. And it's funded by a flat-to-regressive tax on labor income. Its universality is what makes it popular, even if the funding method is less than ideal.

Doug