women's participation in imperialism

Barbara Laurence cns at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Jul 28 14:19:16 PDT 2000

>From Jim O'Connor

Please don't ask me for exact sources, it's been a long time, but there is a literature on women and British imperialism; women and the Nazis and Nazi imperialism; and other imperialist countries, too, I imagine. The flip side is the women's movement in the colonies. There's an excellent literature on India's autonomous women's movement beginning in the early 19th century, which was subordinated to, and subordinated itself to, Congress and the national independence movement in the late 19th century. For more info contact Dilip Basu, History Department UC Santa Cruz <dkbasu at cats.ucsc.edu> or Jim Clifford, History of Consciousness, UC Santa Cruz, <jcliff at cats.ucsc.edu> Between Women's Studies and History of Consciousness and History, allot of women and men scholars have come through Santa Cruz to speak on this issue. The US women's movement was pretty much pro-expansionist and imperialist, I think (without knowing much about it), although there were dissenters. If anyone is doing research on the subject, contact me and I'll give you the contacts I have. Jim