education & pay

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 28 19:00:55 PDT 2000

Maybe looking at the following line from your table will help get at what Michael and Kelly are concerned about:

1.9 Bachelor's degree 40,100

O.K. Half of all holders of the Bachelor's degree earn less than 40K. And that includes many earnaing only 20k to 30k. That's a large number of college graduates who (unless they are two-income households) are not making all that much. I don't know how this corresponds to the expectations of these workers -- and the relationship of expectations to actuality would, I imagine, have most to do with political implications.

Carrol