education & pay

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Jul 29 21:30:55 PDT 2000

> > What is the point of questioning this so stubbornly?
> >
> > Doug

because the way you've presented yourself thus far, you have made the above clear. what you've been saying appears to be buying into the pull yourself up by the bootstraps, the boat will rise with the tide stuff that characterized mainstream economic thought. i know you don't buy that. but you also know that me, michael and yoshie aren't completely unaware of the benefits of a college degree. however, making 25k with my master's degree right now isn't exactly making me feel like a college degree is worth all that much eh? don't get me wrong, i'm happy as a clam and can save tons given that i know how to live on 12k. but, most people i know would NOT be happy with that salary and a master's degree.

at any rate, no one is questioning it per se. we are, however, qualifying a gross generalization. there are exceptions to the stats. yes, on avg, you're better off. and, further, i would NOT agree that the degree buys more than it did 30 years ago. i think the gain is explained by the decline in wages awarded to those with only a high school/less than high school degree, more so than we can say that the degree is buying you a greater income simply because of the degree.