the term 'software' (fwd)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 31 11:27:38 PDT 2000

Les Schaffer wrote:

> memo to marxists: can we think up a term that can be substituted for
> 'revolution' here, that means more than linear development (somehting
> like punctuated equilibrium, except still development occurs in
> between the punctuation marks), but doesnt usurp the social meaning of
> revolution???

For conversation among ourselves, possibly. For shift in public usage, I doubt it.

How about "qualitative leap"? Note that there would have to be various "qualitative leaps" within a social order before there could be a significant revolutionary effort -- which is one of the reasons requests for a revolutionary scenario are in bad faith.

Carrol