No Megalomania in Capitalism (was Re: seth & defusing koreatensions)

Thu Jun 1 10:31:56 PDT 2000

Barkley wrote:

>What is
>more striking about all that muscle-bound military, if weak
>underneath, is what a drain it must be on the pathetic economy.

No doubt a military is a huge drain on resources, natural or human. Imperialism doesn't allow a rational use of resources -- neither in the U.S. nor in North Korea.

__________

CB: If we term the North Korean economy "pathetic" , shouldn't we term the U.S. economy meglomanaical dictatorship ?

> There have been some recent moves to "capitalist
>roading" in the DPRK. But it remains the case that even
>now the DPRK as a system looks more like a pure version
>of the classic Stalinist model than did even any regime in
>the world in the late 1980s, with the possible exception of
>Albania.

If such were the case, AFL-CIO should be so happy. No possibility of major losses of _American_ jobs, much less of an entry into the WTO or talk of PNTR. :)

CB: The Stalinist economic model had faster growth rates than the original capitalism or even the simultaneous capitalism. It is a gross error to claim that the Stalinist economic model was not enormously successful from the standpoint of rate of growth, more successful than the capitalist model.