Shrinking the turnaround rhetoric

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Mon Jun 5 17:19:19 PDT 2000

New statement on anti-globalization activism. I don't necessarily endorse all of this, but it does give a sense of where the issue is going. It certainly passes the internationalism test, at least in terms of participation.

mbs

WTO - Shrink or Sink! The Turn Around Agenda

It's time to turn trade around. In November 1999, the World Trade Organization's (WTO) Third Ministerial Meeting in Seattle collapsed in spectacular fashion, in the face of unprecedented protest from people and governments around the world. We believe it is essential to use this moment as an opportunity to change course and develop an alternative, humane, democratically accountable and sustainable system of commerce that benefits all. This process entails rolling back the power and authority of the WTO.

========

As a full fledged, non-outoftheloop member of the post-wto coalition of Seattle, we ain't seen this before, nor we consulted on the contents of the statement. I guess Dolan will be getting an earful on this as well as a bunch of other shit when he's in town later this week for a film premiere that makes him the star...

Ian