Rent Contol: Open-and-Shut Case?

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 14:22:41 PDT 2000

> Landlords don't want groveling --
> they would rather have
> money. In uncontrolled markets the question of who
> gets an apartment is
> settled quickly by the question of who is able and
> willing to pay the most.

One problem with this article - the landlords DO rent to whoever is able and willing to pay the most (unlike NYC, there are no limits on the initial rents for a vacancy, only limits on how much the rent can be raised per year. ANd as fro the idea that rent control is preventing new housing from being developed - has he ever been to SF? Every square inch that can be has already been built on, unless we want to start stacking people up like they do in Manhattan. The fact is, there are far more people who want to live in SF than places to put them, and there are far too many overpaid yuppie scum dot-commies (like me and my horrid coworkers) who are bidding up the price. Rent control in SF is the only thing preventing thousands of people from being kicked out their homes and neighborhoods. It's an imperfect solution at best, and not applicable to most other places, but it's better than nothing...

Jim Baird