Slashdot on Microsoft licensing

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Thu Jun 8 06:47:00 PDT 2000

Slashdot.Org, the news/op-ed site for geeks, is running a story on the new licensing scheme Micro$oft is using for Windows. The idea is, OEM are not allowed to ship computers with a complete copy of Windows - they can only ship a form which is tied to a particular piece of computer hardware. A real advantage for Microsoft - they make the intangible (the private property relation) tangible, enforcing the fact that they still own the software you are using.

Read the full story:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/06/08/0647212&mode=thread

Peter P.S. unfortunately, not enough geeks know their Marx, else the recent trend towards introspection (articles on ageism in the IT industry, the increased reliance of geek lifestyle on temporary relations (short terms contracts, rented accomodation, frequent relocation)) might have been a bit more fruitful. -- Peter van Heusden <pvh at egenetics.com> NOTE: I do not speak for my employer, Electric Genetics "Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower." - Karl Marx, 1844