Helpless in Berkeley

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Fri Jun 9 23:48:31 PDT 2000

Mike,

I hate to tell you this, but I am stuck. The cdrom arrived today. I have completely forgotten all the bullshit that goes on in msuck. I managed to write a new master boot record, format the hard drive, and write the hidden system files on it. I can now turn on the computer and get it to boot up with a command.com that claims to be starting Win95, and then drops into DOS mode, since there is no Win95. But I don't have any cdrom drivers. I have also completely forgotten what has to go into a the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

Sooo, my darling son, hmm, see, its like this. How about that boot disk you mentioned with the cdrom drivers, a minimal config.sys and autoexec.bat file so I can access the cdrom. All I know about the cdrom is that its old and runs at 6x! The bios recognizes it and would boot off it, if, ... if, the cdrom was bootable.

Anyway, if you can, send a floppy with the cdrom drivers, a minmal config.sys and autoexc.bat. Remember I don't have anything but a command.com and a few miscellaneous utilities like format, edit, attrib, scandisk and few others. An alternative would be to make a bootable copy of the the cdrom you sent me, but that seems too much to ask.

Whatever you can do, is fine. Like I said, I am really glad you managed to get Lepow to cough up some dough. And, I am well aware that getting it took a fair amount of courage, considering your position and his power.

Love,

Dad