Arrests at OSU Graduation

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 10 10:11:06 PDT 2000

The following letter has been sent by Dr. Wendy Shaw (Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures) to OSU President William "Brit" Kirwan (kirwan.1 at osu.edu) and Provost Ed Ray (ray.1 at osu.edu), urging them to drop the charges pressed against the four guests of a graduating student Oona Besman at the Commencement Ceremony. The guests were arrested (by the order of Captain John Petry) for "persistent disorderly conduct" and "obstruction of official business" just because they stood up & turned their backs against J.C. Watts (commencement speaker & conservative politician). Please follow the lead of Dr. Shaw and write a letter to President Kirwan, Provost Ray, and the media.

Yoshie