Baptism By Fire--Vieques Project Update (fwd)

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat Jun 10 12:15:57 PDT 2000

forwarded by Michael Hoover

Hola,

Many of you will be receiving a packet of information in the mail regarding the Baptism by Fire Project. For those of you who didn't, postage is kind of expensive so we are emailing you a copy of the letter and treatment. We also have a 12minute trailer that we shot on May 5 to May 10, 2000. Please email me and I will send you a complete package. Please direct all mail and email from June 9 till August 30, 2000 you can send all mail to the address below:

Baptism By Fire

c/o Elesha M. Miranda &

Salsa w/ Chutzpha Productions

HC-02 Box 15004

Vieques, Puerto Rico 00765-6740

(787) 741-2893 (tel)(this phone may not be working yet)

or (917) 251-1531 (voice mail)

email <salsawchutzpah at aol.com>, <emm77 at columbia.edu>

We are preparing to shot this documentary no matter what, the people of Vieques need us there now. We are still raising funds for digitial video tapes (they cost $300 for 10), bringing over a sound person, another camera, and travel and lodging for other needed crew and health insurance for the crew.

Thanks for everyone's support in so many ways. Please read the letter below.

We are pleased to add a new member to our team, Amanda Matos-Gonzales was born and raised in Boston, MA. Amanda has done extensive organizing and education work with the Latino community, women, and youth throughout Boston. She is 20 years old, and is both Puerto Rican and Dominican. She has worked for the Boston Women's Fund-- Young Sistahs For Justice Project. We are excited to have Amanda's energy, experience, and commitment added to our project as an Assistant Producer.

Please feel free to pass this on to anyone that may be interested in supporting our project. Muchas gracias!

yours in struggle, Elesha and K. ___________________________________________________________________ June 6, 2000

Dear Friends, Family, Colleagues, and Allies:

I am writing this letter to ask for your support. I am currently directing and co-producing a feature length documentary film called Baptism By Fire exploring the U.S. Military presence in Vieques, Puerto Rico. The media is often times corrupted by those in power, only allowing us to see a glimpse of the real story. We want to tell the people's story. This topic is especially timely given the upcoming elections in the United States and Puerto Rico. Enough people have suffered, we must expose the injustices now. In 1941, during the height of World War II, the Navy took possession of two thirds of the island, displacing thousands of families. For fifty years, the U.S. Navy has been bombing Vieques with cannons, hellfire missiles, and napalm bombs. The toxic residues from the bombings has lead to serious contamination of the environment, as well as civilian deaths. This story will be told through the eyes of Anita, a 37 year old single, lesbian mother of eight children who is a maintenance worker for a low-income housing project on Vieques. Anita's personal story reflects the larger struggle on Vieques, as she was born from the rape of her Puerto Rican mother by a U.S. Marine. I believe VERY strongly in the subject matter and the power of the "media" (in the right hands) to inform and inspire people to action.

Documentary films depend so much on being there at the right time. On May 4th, 212 protesters were arrested and once the cameras were off, people were extremely mistreated by the military. Through emergency funding, I and two crew members, were able to get to Vieques by May 5th. What we saw made it evident that the conflict between the local protesters and the U.S. Military must be documented now. We need to shoot this documentary this summer.

My co-producer and I are applying for numerous charitable grants (Funding Exchange/Roberson Fund, the RESIST foundation, ASTRAEA, SOROS documentary fund, and the Latino Public Broadcasting grant to name a few) and fiscal sponsorship with Third World Newsreel (making us tax-exempt). However, much of the money we are applying for will not be available to us until October of 2000. Documentaries are not money-making ventures, they are made because of a commitment that one has to a particular story or issue. Given that we are making a film about a highly charged political issue and this is our first feature film, it is difficult to fundraise from mainstream sources. Movies like Baptism By Fire are made through private donations, fundraisers, and collective commitment.

We must raise $10,000 in private donations for the summer, which will also show potential funders that this film is being supported by a community of concerned citizens. We are setting a deadline of June 15, 2000 to raise this money. Our entire budget is $73,580-which seems like a lot of money, but is very low-budget by industry standards. Enclosed you will find a film treatment, crew bios, newspaper clippings, and reflections from our recent trip. You can also call and request a copy of our twelve minute video trailer of "rough footage" that was shot hand-held by me. Envision what this film will look like shot by a professional cinematographer, professional sound, an original music soundtrack, a strong story, a full crew, and a vision that is implemented in the spirit of collaboration and equality between the crew and the people of Vieques.

It is my hope, that after reviewing the enclosed packet, you will feel moved to join us in the making of Baptism By Fire through making a financial contribution. Feel free to forward this information on to anyone that may be interested and to call me at (917) 251-1531 or email <salsawchutzpah at aol.com> if you have any further questions or comments. The production and success of this film will not be possible without your support.

Yours in struggle, Elesha Miranda Director/ Co-Producer _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

BAPTISM BY FIRE Please print this form and mail it along withyour tax-deductible donation in the address below: (payable to) Elesha Maria Miranda, HC-02 Box 15004, Vieques, PR 00765-6740. Place Baptism By Fire in the memo space of your check or money order.

=95 Yes! I want to give a tax-deductible contribution to Baptism By =46ire in the amount of: =95$2,000 =95$1,000 =95$500 =95$250 =95$100 =95$50 =95$25 =95Other ________________ =95 Yes! I want to organize a fundraiser on ____________________date, please call me. =95 Yes! I would like to donate a digital camera. =95 Yes! I would like to donate a sound kit. =95 Yes! I would be willing to approach friends who may support this project!

=95 My check or money order is enclosed.

Name____________________________________

Phone___________________________

Street____________________________________

Fax_____________________________

City, State, Zip_____________________________

Email___________________________

__________________________________________________________________________ Baptism By Fire A Documentary Film about Vieques, Puerto Rico Directed by Elesha Mar=EDa Miranda Co-Produced by Simmons and Elesha Mar=EDa Miranda Assitant Produced by Amanda Matos-Gonzalez Cinematorgraphy by Victor Ra=FAl Mar=EDn

FILM TREATMENT

First their country, then their homes, now their lives - the U.S. Navy bombs a defenseless tropical island.

History. Puerto Rico became a colony of the United States in 1898. In 1938, the U.S. Navy began using the Puerto Rican Island of Vieques, located off of the eastern coast of San Juan. In 1941, during the height of World War II, the Navy took possession of two thirds of the island, displacing thousands of families. Today, the entire civilian population, over nine thousand Viequenses are clustered into the middle third of the island.

Economic Issues. The people of Vieques depend on fishing for their economic survival, they are not permitted to fish when the Navy is using the surrounding waters. Tourism is another source of income, but few Viequenses own their own businesses. U.S. Americans have entered the island and run the majority of the island businesses tax-free. Employment options are many times limited to working for the U.S. Navy or local police. The unemployment rate in Vieques is 75%, 15% higher then the rest of Puerto Rico. Many residents are dependent on Public Assistance for survival.

Environmental and Health Issues. Economic survival is not the only hardship facing Vieques. The U.S. Navy uses the small island to practice live-fire exercises. In particular, they fire rounds of shells loaded with depleted uranium. (Only 25% of these shells are ever recovered.) Furthermore, for fifty years, the U.S. Navy has been bombing Vieques with cannons, hellfire missiles, and napalm bombs. The immediate effects of the bombings are the destruction of delicate ecosystems. Also, the toxic residues from the bombings and other military maneuvers lead to serious contamination of the environment. The people of Vieques suffer from high levels of cancer and other serious health problems such as lupus, thyroid deficiencies, and asthma.

Civilian Death. On April 19, 1999, the U.S. Military dropped two 500lb bombs on the eastern tip of Vieques. A civilian guard, David Sanes Rodriguez, was killed and four others were injured. Since David's death, hundreds of civilians have risked their lives by living in encampments on the U.S. Military's bombing ranges. To date, these protests have successfully detained the bombings. However, on April 28, 2000 - U.S. =46ederal authorities sent one thousand U.S. Marines to help remove Puerto Rican protesters from a bombing range on Vieques. On May 4, 2000- 212 protesters were arrested by the U.S. Military for camping on land that was forcibly taken from them. We have filmed personal testimonies from those detained, detailing emotional and physical abuses suffered.

Latin Explosion. Sofia Qunitero, a writer and activist in New York, can be quoted in the May, 2000 issue of MS magazine as saying, "The seven year itch strikes, and the Anglo gaze rediscovers Latinos. Another exercise in conquering the exotic, this time wielding consumption rather than colonialization." Quintero continues to discuss how U.S. pop culture has created an image of Latinos that ranges from taco peddling Chihuahua dogs to Puerto Rican pop-culture icons such as Ricky Martin and Jennifer Lopez. These images would have U.S. American minds believing that Latinos are truly "Livin La Vida Loca' and thriving as a people. As filmmakers, we have seen that colonialism is alive and well, it's just masked by mass consumerism and brown-faced slogans that profit only a privileged few. The people of Puerto Rico, specifically Vieques, have been and are continuing to be destroyed by U.S. domination. It is imperative that the real story be told.

Documentary. Baptism By Fire is a feature length documentary exploring the U.S. Military presence in Vieques, Puerto Rico through the eyes of a woman born to a Viequense woman and a U.S. Marine temporarily training on the island. Raised solely be her mother, Anita, now 37, is a single, lesbian mother of eight children, and working as a maintenance worker for a low-income housing project. Since the birth of the Puerto Rican Nation, women have been present in the defense of their homeland. This film is timely as we will be able to document a Viequense woman's journey of survival amidst a homeland under siege.

Baptism By Fire will include interviews with people living in Vieques, political leaders in Vieques, political leaders in Puerto Rico, representatives of the U.S. Government, representatives of the U.S. Military, resistance rallies in the United States, Puerto Rican pop culture celebrities, and political icons. It will also include footage of Vieques from the 1930's through present, including scenes from everyday life, political protests, and the U.S. Military engaging in live-fire exercises.

Film Crew. The crew consists of two women and two men (all early twenties to early thirties, varying races, religions, nationalities, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds).

****************************************************************************=

Baptism By Fire

c/o Elesha M. Miranda &

Salsa w/ Chutzpha Productions

HC-02 Box 15004

Vieques, Puerto Rico 00765-6740

(787) 741-2893 (tel)(this phone may not be working yet)

or (917) 251-1531 (voice mail)

email <salsawchutzpah at aol.com>, <emm77 at columbia.edu>