Fwd: Re: Rent Contol: Open-and-Shut Case?

Fri Jun 9 15:34:24 PDT 2000

>By the late 1960s (around the same time as
>People's Park, etc.) many people in Berkeley were fed up with the
>destruction of Berkeley's architectural heritage, and they revolted. In
>1970, an ordinance was passed that effectively banned demolition of
>residential property and set off a move to downzone (that is, reduce the
>allowable densities on residential lots) great swaths of Berkeley.
>
>The consequence? from a peak of over a thousand new units a year in the
>1960s, Berkeley's housing unit production virtually fell off a cliff: a
>handful of new units each year on average throughout the 1970s. Small
>wonder then that rent control was passed by the voters in 1979 or 1980.
>
>So Krugman's article is easily found annoying and wrong by virtue of being
>ahistorical. High rents are usually a pre-existing condition for rent
>control....

Meaning that if you are going to control quantities, you might as well control prices too? Perhaps, but surely the theory of the second-best is more complicated than that...

>And, as economist/planner David Dowall of UC Berkeley has shown in a 1984
>book on the Bay Area, land use controls restricting residential densities
>REGIONALLY compound the housing shortage here as well as exacerbate our
>legendary traffic commutes. The commutes ruin our air quality (which is
>still lovely, but the Bay Area has been a nonattainment area under the Clean
>Air Act since 1998 -- during the recession in the early 1990s, our region
>actually became an attainment area, but lost it when the boom took off)...

They're not *his* legendary traffic commutes. They are the legendary traffic commutes by the people who live in Antioch or Vallejo because Berkeley local government insists on remaining a low-density area...

Brad DeLong --

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- "Now 'in the long run' this [way of summarizing the quantity theory of money] is probably true.... But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. **In the long run** we are all dead. Economists set themselves too easy, too useless a task if in tempestuous seasons they can only tell us that when the storm is long past the ocean is flat again."

--J.M. Keynes -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- J. Bradford De Long; Professor of Economics, U.C. Berkeley; Co-Editor, Journal of Economic Perspectives. Dept. of Economics, U.C. Berkeley, #3880 Berkeley, CA 94720-3880 (510) 643-4027; (925) 283-2709 phones (510) 642-6615; (925) 283-3897 faxes http://econ161.berkeley.edu/ <delong at econ.berkeley.edu>