[fla-left] [news] Women Activists Issue 'Report Card' (fwd)

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Mon Jun 12 14:38:26 PDT 2000

Below is indicative of 'reform from above' strategy based on middle- strata/professionals connected to Dems. Result is 'symbolic representation' in that growing number of women in positions of authority does not empower women as a group. Reminds of 'double bind' Marguerite Ross Barnett writes about in her Black Congressional Caucus study ('The Congressional Black Caucus: Symbol, Myth, Reality,' _The Black Scholar_, January/February 1997, pp. 17-26). She asserts that piecemeal reforms "cannot be effective in the long run without transformation of the underlying structural factors that differentiate and subordinate blacks. However, attempts to make structural change through legislation must win support from a whole panoply of groups with a vested interest in the status quo" which leads to dimunition of initial goals. Michael Hoover