Jailhouse Chic

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Wed Jun 14 06:58:59 PDT 2000

Carl---One thing that amazes me is that whenever I go through a collection of Steelworker photos from the 30's and 40's is how well dressed and how much pride the Steelworkers had in themselves. I mean these guys were lucky if they had two nickles to rub together and where their next meal was coming from was sometimes in doubt. Yet you will see hundreds/thousands of rank and file Steelworkers wearing suits, sportcoats, white shirts, ties, straw hats in the summer, etc. etc. Remember these are rank and file crowd shots, I'm talking about on all different types of ocassions.

THe same is true of old UMWA photos too.

Tom Lehman