Privatization of Social Security

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Wed Jun 14 13:14:06 PDT 2000

Tom Lehman <TLehman at lor.net> wrote:

< Anyone notice that Gore is now changing his tune again on the privatization of social security? Moving more towards the Bush position. Only Gore wants to use federal matching funds? Gorebush. Anyone got the details.

Here's an interview by Doug's competitor the Bob Kuttner of Ralph Nader,

http://www.prospect.org/archives/V11-15/kuttner-r-conversation.html

No, I haven't noticed. Please explain more.

What I have noticed is almost total silence from both candidates recently on Social Security. There was a Krugman op-ed in the NY Times that ended "Bush's privatization proposal would be torn to shreds if Al Gore was alive." Or words to that effect.

It seems they're both dead.

I was alarmed by Bush making privatization a campaign issue, and I'm more alarmed by the silence of both candidates after the initial splash. The silence is stentorian. What does that mean?

And the interview with Nader doesn't mention Social Security, unless I skimmed too fast and missed it.

-- John K. Taber