Computation and Human Experience (RRE)

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Thu Jun 15 11:01:46 PDT 2000

>> That our tools reflect our consciousness does not mean they contain it.
>> Even the brain does not contain consciousness (any more than space
contains
>> time.)
>
>Well, then, where is it?

Memory occupies time but not space. The brain occupies space but not time. Mind is the overlap.

Matter, including brains, does not occupy time. That is, at any given instant, the material object occupies only that instant. Temporally speaking, the material object is therefore a dimensionless point. In space it is extended (in three dimensions). But in time it has no extension. In this sense it does not occupy time.

Mind is spatialized memory. Mind is that aspect of memory which spatializes in accord with the brain in the current moment. The past has neither space nor matter, and therefore memory-- the living past-- has no dimensions in space. Like matter in time, memory in space is a point, a zero. The mind is the fount of memory; it is memory in the present moment, with its spatial and material components. The mind is exactly where the brain is in space and where memory is in time.

Ted

&&&&&&&

Stop. With your feet in the air and your head on the ground, Try this trick and spin it. Your head'll collapse, and there's nothing in it, And you'll ask yourself-- Where is my mind? Where is my mind? *Where* is my mind? Wat out in the water, see it swimming.

--Pixies