Nader is a union buster

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Jun 15 12:27:35 PDT 2000

It is also worth noting that Nader is a "union buster" or at least contributory union destroyer due to his mania for deregulation and "competition" as his cure-all solution for so many industries in the 1970s and onwards. The deregulation of the trucking, airline, telecommunication and many other industries - supported strongly by Nader (although not always in the way implemented) - opened the way for nonunion trucking companies, union busting in the airlines industry and mega nonunion telecom companies like MCI-Worldcom.

One reason my current union Communication Workers of America is a pretty strong supporter of Gore is that the Clinton administration has been especially supportive of the unionized players in the telecom industry, allowing CWA to demand significant conscessions from those companies - mostly AT&T and the Baby Bells, in order to keep the unions supporting their regulatory fights against their nonunion competitors. The result has been agreements promising no antiunion campaigns and non-NLRB systems of recognition to assist organizing at the nonunion subsidiaries and acquisitions of these companies. This has allowed unionized inroads to the previously nonunion sectors like cable and wireless.

Nader's folks continue to be notably indifferent to whether a company is a union-buster or not, pretty mindlessly favoring the lowest cost competitor regardless of whether their lower costs come from screwing their workers.

-- Nathan Newman