Computation and Human Experience

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 15 22:16:55 PDT 2000

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> But it illustrates the idea that computers are
> really stupid.

I don't get this. Computers are stupid only if you expect them to be intelligent. Different people must respond differently to computer foul-ups. I "feel" the programmer behind the machine, and I am ticked off at some vague image of said programmer when the thing won't obey me. I've never been ticked off at the computer itself. I feel real irritation at some netscape programmer every time I hit the send button when I'm intending to hit the quote button. Why did he/she put them side by side up there? I feel nothing at all about the computer.

Carrol