Fwd: A (hostile) review of Michael Perelman's latest

Pacitti, Aaron (CAP, PTL) Aaron.Pacitti at penske.com
Fri Jun 16 09:12:50 PDT 2000

I, too, find the current corporate setting to curious and riddled with contradictions. I am struck by the glaring dichotomy by how many people are hostile towards the working environment (i.e. self-abnegating jokes regarding their workload, the company, office politics, etc.) but continue to work 11 hour days. This predicament arises out of necessity (of money) and fear (of being fired) for most, which breeds a perverse form of subservience and willing indoctrination.

Where I work, I have a cohort who has tried to retire 4 times...each lasting no more than a month before he came back for more. He is an older gentleman (mid 60s) who lost his wife and has three self-sufficient children. No finical burdens, if you will. We've had many conversations about his situation and I can say with certainty that there exists no need for him to work. Period. He could have retired 10 years ago and been financially sound. Obviously the paycheck isn't luring him back.

He has said in his own words that he gets bored at home and feels "useless" when he isn't working (working in a corporate setting, that is). This is an astonishing admission. The efficacy of the corporate pap about pecuniary creation = productiveness has virtually strangled this man's sense of independence and self-worth. I feel bad for him, but understand where he is coming from. Its frightening. It becomes difficult to enjoy what Bertrand Russell called "useless knowledge" when you are overwhelmed by feelings of guilt when you are not being "productive".

Aaron