genetic information (was Re: Computation and Human Experience (RRE)

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Sun Jun 18 11:23:06 PDT 2000

>I would not be quite as forthright as Ted though, about the
stupidity of capitalism patenting genes. In terms of probabilities some genes may still be quite important. The battle between one branch of US capitalism and one branch of UK capitalism is more finely balanced than pure intellect would suggest. UK capitalism is not disinterested either but may calculate that by thwarting the patenting of genetic information it may have greater opportunities than if US capitalism can buy up the whole project. ...
>Chris Burford
>
>London

Someone please tell me if I'm nuts, but the US patent office appears to be going for the global intellectual property land grab - software patents, business practice patents, etc. hoping to catch the world off-guard, and own all the good ideas.

This has to be stopped, or the income gap between the US and the rest of the world will grow even larger! --

johnk