Fwd: Kewl Stats

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jun 18 08:18:29 PDT 2000

Chris Doss wrote:

>I didn't know that the US had more people in prison than China.

According to the most recent stats, China incarcerates 115 people per 100,000 population; the U.S., 645 (second only to Russia, at 685).

>>HARTFORD ADVOCATE
>>-- According to Nader, the top 1 percent of the richest Americans
>>have wealth equal to the combined wealth of 95 percent of other
>>Americans: "It used to be said a rising economic tide lifts all
>>boats. Now a rising economic tide lifts all yachts."

Wealth concentration hasn't changed *that* much since the Fed's first Survey of Consumer Finances in 1963. Why do people like Nader assume or imply that things used to be a lot better, in that innocent pre-globalized past?

Doug