Retirement RE: Re: Fwd: A (hostile) review of Michael Perelman's latest

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Mon Jun 19 02:59:45 PDT 2000

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 bruce.rob at mail.btinternet.com wrote:

> I am in the happy position of having been able to take early
> retirement from academe aged 41 (the downside being that I have a
> chronic illness. I don't have any trouble filling my time (perhaps
> political activism and LBO-list should be recommended for all
> retirees!).
>
> the Blair government has recently talked about RAISING the retiremnt
> age to 70 and applying coercive measures to keep 60-70 year olds in
> the job market. I can't think of any good economic reason for this
> even from a capitalist viewpoint, except perhaps cuttoing the social
> security budget If people that age want to work, fine. They shpu;d not
> be discriminated against, but forcing them to at that age...

Has he gone totally insane? I thought Blair was trying to appeal to the older, generally more conservative, voter (I assume that is, in part, what that rubbish about "sacred monuments" after May Day was about).

Maybe the Blairites are cooking up their version of the US Social Security 'crisis' hysteria.

Maybe top Blairites are secretely being paid by William Hague.... :)

Peter -- Peter van Heusden <pvh at egenetics.com> NOTE: I do not speak for my employer, Electric Genetics "Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower." - Karl Marx, 1844