NGOs irresponsible, credential them!

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Mon Jun 19 09:29:48 PDT 2000

Although I don't see anything terrible about more disclosure by NGOs. NGOs are already "credentialed" in an informal way; a few more standards are actually more likely to question the corporate sponsorship of some "respectable" NGOs. Unions live with certain standards of accountability and democratic requirements, and those are generally rules that benefit a more open and ultimately more militant union movement. Abit more accountability might decrease the "one dollar one vote" fundraising-based decisionamking that motivates a lot of NGOs, or at least expose those too dependent on particular outside funding sources.

-- Nathan Newman