NGOs irresponsible, credential them!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 19 11:25:38 PDT 2000

At 12:29 PM 6/19/00 -0400, Nathan Newman quoted:

>> Financial Times - June 18, 2000
>>
>> Pressure groups warned on public scrutiny
>> By Rosemary Bennett, Political Correspondent
>>
>> Greenpeace and other pressure groups must open up to public scrutiny
>> or risk losing all credibility, a government-sponsored think tanks
>> warns on Monday.

Of course, "accountablity" in this context is but a scheme to cover up the real goal of the ruling plutocracy - to distinguish between "deserving" and "underserving" community organizations. Under the US law, all orgs with expenditure over $25k/year must file the 990 form with the IRS. 990 forms are public records, posted on the internet. I do not know how much more disclosure is possible - but that is apparently is not enough. Government and corporate schmucks need a certification that an organization is ruling-class-friendly, something than cannot be easily inferred from the Form 990 information.

This is but a watered-down version of the Istook amendment (aka "defunding the Left" campaign, defetaed two years ago) that would require cessassion of any political activity by organizations receiveing any form of public support.

wojtek