genetic information (was Re: Computation and Human Experience(RRE)

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Mon Jun 19 12:47:34 PDT 2000

Peter van Heusden wrote:
>You could equally argue that since programs do not encode computer
>behaviour, but are rather interpreted by the computing machinery, they do
>not contain information (after all, try transferring a computer program
>from one kind of computer to another).

Actually, if programs were interpreted by computers, then they would indeed contain information. But interpretation implies a range of possibilities or at least a degree of subjectivity. Computers just obediently follow the laws of physics. It's strictly automatic. There's no more interpretation in a computer than there is in a cylinder when a piston "interprets" an explosion of gasoline as meaning, "I should move up now." The same mistake occurs in biology regarding language and genes. What kind of a language contains not only the words themselves but a further set of words which determines what will be expressed in a given situation?

>I'm all for arguing against 'genetic determinism' as a sound way of
>understanding biology, but you're bending the stick to the point of
>ridiculousness. No amount of proclaiming is going to stop companies
>milking the hell out of the genome, patented or not

Since the patenting of genes is justified on the grounds that they constitute a form of intellectual property, publicizing the falsity of "genetic information" would undermine the legal basis for such patenting. But far more importantly, we must expose the absurdity in the phrase, "genetic engineering." Organisms are not machines. That they utilize chemical and physical mechanisms does not mean they are themselves mechanisms. What happened to our sense of the ineffable in life? We're tampering with something we *fundamentally* do not understand. This is crucial in turning the tide. The clear implication is that the technology of genetic splicing must remain 100% in the public sphere. It's criminally reckless to allow profit-making from a technique that involves processes and ramifications that are totally beyond our comprehension. And let's not forget that the traditional term for the private ownership of living, productive processes is slavery. This is the logic of life-as-machine, with humans as nothing more than the transition between organic machines and rationalized machines.

Here's an issue where we could really reverse the trend toward privatization. But we've got to make it clear that we're dealing with something much deeper than mere "engineering."

Ted