the modern libertarian

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 19 12:55:08 PDT 2000

[via Frances Bolton]

I Am the Very Model of a Modern Libertarian by Kimstu

[With apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan, and also to one Lollius. Note: In order to avoid the infringement of individual rights by imposing totalitarian ideals of harmony, the soloist and choristers may sing each in his or her own tempo, tune, and key.]

I am the very model of a modern Libertarian: I teem with glowing notions for proposals millenarian, I've nothing but contempt for ideologies collectivist (My own ideas of social good tend more toward the Objectivist). You see, I've just discovered, by my intellectual bravery, That civic obligations are all tantamount to slavery; And thus that ancient pastime, viz., complaining of taxation, Assumes the glorious aspect of a war for liberation!

[Chorus:]

You really must admit it's a delightful revelation: To bitch about your taxes is to fight for liberation!

I bolster up my claims with lucubrations rather risible About the Founding Fathers and the market's hand invisible; In fact, my slight acquaintance with the fountainhead Pierian Makes me the very model of a modern Libertarian!

[Chorus:]

His very slight acquaintance with the fountainhead Pierian Makes him the very model of a modern Libertarian!

All "public wealth" is robbery, we never will accede to it; You have no rights in anything if you can't show your deed to it. (But don't fear repossession by our Amerind minority: Those treaties aren't valid---Uncle Sam had no authority!) We realize whales and wolves and moose find wilderness quite vital, And we'll give back their habitats---if they can prove their title. But people like unspoiled lands (we too will say "hooray" for them), So we have faith that someone else will freely choose to pay for them.

[Chorus:]

Yes, when the parks are auctioned it will be a lucky day for them--- We're confident that someone else will freely choose to pay for them!

We'll guard the health of nature by self-interest most astute: Since pollution is destructive, no one ever will pollute. Thus factories will safeguard our communities riparian--- I am the very model of a modern Libertarian!

[Chorus:]

Yes, factories will safeguard our communities riparian, He is the very model of a modern Libertarian!

In short, when I can tell why individual consumers Know best who should approve their drugs and who should treat their tumors; Why civilized existence in its intricate confusion Will be simple and straightforward, absent government intrusion; Why markets cannot err within the system I've described, Why poor folk won't be bullied and why rich folk won't be bribed, And why all vast inequities of power and position Will vanish when I wave my wand and utter "COMPETITION!"---

[Chorus:]

He's so much more exciting than a common politician,

Inequities will vanish when he hollers "Competition!"

---And why my lofty rhetoric and arguments meticulous Inspire shouts of laughter and the hearty cry, "Ridiculous!", And why my social theories all seem so pre-Sumerian--- I'll be the very model of a modern Libertarian!

[Chorus:]

His novel social theories all seem so pre-Sumerian--- He is the very model of a modern Libertarian!