Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 19 18:49:18 PDT 2000

At 5:57 PM -0400 6/19/00, Chuck0 wrote to Nathan:
>My feeling was that since I was spending so
>much of my time on organizing that those who came from out of town could
>have at least made the effort to read the website.
<skip>
> > If everyone who shows up gets to vote, those with more time get to vote
> > more often and have more power in the organization. In capitalist
> > society, time is bought with both money and privilege. Any process that
> > rewards free time with more political power is based on economic and
> > racial inequality.
>
>That's true. This is why we need the 4-hour workday, so people can go to
>long consensus-based meetings. ;-)

I don't know why Chuck0 isn't treating the problems seriously, but allow me to say the obvious. Not everyone is into wired culture, nor do we have 4-hour workdays today. The style of organizing, I submit, has to take into account today's working conditions and tech access inequality; otherwise, Seattle & A16 won't become a bigger movement and will continue to be undemocratic.

>And folks who are being excluded need to speak up.

Those who can't show up at meetings and don't get called during "a few conference calls" can't speak up -- well, actually, they can speak up but their voices don't reach or sway those who are in love with the current "process." And it is the "process" that is excluding lots of people! This is called a vicious circle, and the circle has to be broken and opened up for more participation.

Yoshie