Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

Chuck0 chuck at dojo.tao.ca
Mon Jun 19 20:28:11 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

> There are real values in the anarchist model and I thought some of the DAN
> folks were some of the best meeting moderators I have seen, but it is not
> a model for a mass, diverse movement that has any real aspirations to
> multiracial participation. So the trick will be to maintain those values
> in a more structured organizational network.

Quite frankly, I think it is too early to leap to these kind of conclusions. We haven't even seen a year go by with people using the DAN model. This is hardly enough time to conclude that we should go back to the rigid disempowering style of movement building that never accomplished anything.

Folks are tired of the old way. They want to try something different.

I seem to remember that the methods you are advocating had their problems with getting people of color involved too.

My belief is that the problem of *some* people of color feeling alienated has to do with the social. Many radical activists are white and they hang out with other white people for cultural reasons. We have this problem in the anarchist movement, espcially among anarcho-punks. African-Americans, for the most part, are not interested in punk music.

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe