1900 House

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 10:37:12 PDT 2000

>The 2nd episode last night showed the family moving
>in, and the wife (who was the one who wnated to do it)
>breaking down under the workload after a few days,
>complaining that the husband was getting the better
>deal, etc. Just watching her and her daughters doing
>the wash (12 hours to do a single load!), I wondered
>how women ever had time to agitate for suffrage and
>the like. Check it out if you get the chance...
>
>Jim Baird

Yes, this is a fascinating show. And the plot's about to thicken, judging from the reviews I've read. The solution to the wife's work overload proves to be to hire a maid (which I suspect was also how many suffragettes found time for political, as opposed to laundry, agitation). However, the wife, after initially feeling freed, experiences guilt about hiring a maid, so she fires her, reportedly causing resentment and a fresh outburst of guilt -- conflicted emotions all around. Looking at her husband struggle with that straight-edge razor, though, it's not clear to me he's got the better deal.