Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jun 20 11:11:21 PDT 2000

YF: . . . protests that C & P describe are the kind that comes and goes in response to large-scale economic ups & downs, whereas union democracy and solidarity in the community are more about issues that never go away. In fact, I think that whether or not rank-and-file unionists stay involved in union and other political goings-on pretty much determines the quality of democracy -- everyone's favorite word -- under capitalism. . . .

If you've got 30 to 50 people coming to meetings every week, I would say that's very good for a campus. But to me mobilization means a situation where half the campus is ready to come to a meeting, hence my definition leads to my judgement that you are demobilized (albeit active).

I agree that day-to-day work is important. On most days, it's the only option available. But I would suggest that this premise is inconsistent with your philosophical perspective, which dwells on much more radical goals. From my standpoint, your practice has eclipsed your theory.

mbs