Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 20 12:49:05 PDT 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> >I have to say it seems odd for a Marxist to complain about insider's
>> >vocabularly and an assumed common culture. Reification and the
>> >transformation problem aren't the stuff of everyday speech.
>> >
>> >Doug
>
>I never did understand what "reification" meant. Can someone enlighten
>me.
>
>Carrol
>
>P.S. I think Jim Devine over on pen-l said about all that needs saying re
>the transformation problem -- and that could be conveyed simply to
>anyone with an 8th-grade education.

I'm glad to see you're both responding to the point, rather than the specifics of the example words I chose. I guess I was all wrong that Marxism has its own vocabulary and shared culture; obviously anyone with an 8th grade education can understand Capital or History & Class Consciousness. Silly me; must be all those evil postmodernists over on the shelf.

Doug